IT Sligo to host Surfing Intervarsities
The event will see up on 300 surfers from IT’s and Universities from all corners of Ireland competing for the title of National Intervarsity Student Champions 2012.
IT Sligo Surf Club are the current national champions.
Each competitor is given points based on their placing in the following events, and those points count toward the overall total.
- Men’s Surf (open to any male student riding any type of surfboard)
- Women’s Surf (open to any female student riding any type of surfboard)
- Men’s Bodyboard (open to any male student riding a Bodyboard)
- Women’s Bodyboard (open to any female student riding a Bodyboard)
- Men’s Longboard (open to any male student riding a Longboard)
- Women’s Longboard (open to any female student riding a Longboard)
- Novice Men/Women
- Expression Session
Each individual event will be sponsored by a business in the North West and Strandhill and Sligo will benefit hugely from the off season surge in visitors to the region. It is estimated that up to 3,000 people will visit Strandhill to either participate in or observe the competition.
Image Caption: Local professional surfer Easkey Britton on one of the great waves near Sligo. Photo by Roo McCrudden.