Sports & Recreation
Our students take their sport seriously, make no mistake about it. We know you can’t offer sport without good facilities and at IT Sligo we have top class facilities right here on our campus. So literally you can walk from your classes, or the library, to the Knocknarea Arena to get togged out for training and put yourself through a good work out in the gym. Nothing like burning off some energy to take your mind off the books. A short walk takes you back to the main building for some food, or you can eat at the Knocknarea Arena.
Our outdoor sports facilities include:
- Floodlit championship standard playing pitch for gaelic games and rugby.
- Floodlit Soccer Pitch complete with dugouts available for FAI certified games.
- Floodlit eight lane Athletics Arena
- Floodlit Astro Pitch for gaelic games, soccer and rugby
The following facilities are available to students, staff and members of the public in the Knocknarea Arena:
- Sports hall for indoor sports, large enough to accommodate two full five-a-side pitches or two basketball courts.
- Multi-purpose area for a variety of uses.
- A state-of-the-art gym with over thirty exercise machines which caters for both cardiovascular and resistance training.
- Our resistance machines can accomodate wheelchair users
- Snack bar with a viewing balcony over the Athletics Arena and Playing Pitches.
- Astro Pitch, caters for a range of sports, including three 7-a-side soccer pitches.
The Knocknarea Arena can cater for a wide variety of events including concerts (Sligo live), Exams, the Institute’s Conferring and many Local Events. Please call us for more information on concerts or sporting events in 2012/2013