Scholarship with Sligo Rovers
Notes & Guidelines to the Scheme
The scholarship scheme will entail a bursary sum (per annum per person), to players attached to Sligo Rovers FC and IT Sligo Football Club, who avail of a prized 3rd level education at IT Sligo. The scheme is aimed at the following categories of candidate:
1. Students (Irish and Overseas) who apply to IT Sligo through the C.A.O. process / International Office.
2. Candidates who would like to be accepted as mature students (> 23 years of age on 1st January of the calendar year of application). Applicants in this category should also apply through the CAO.
Irish applicants who wish to be considered under Category 1 must have included an option for IT Sligo on their CAO application forms. Should the need arise Irish applicants should avail of the C.A.O. change of mind process (closing date is traditionally 1st July each year). Overseas / International applications will be assessed academically via the Admissions Office.
All applicants (under Category 1) will then be assessed under the following criteria:
a) Level of Soccer achievements and honours attained to date.
b) On the field performance(s) at both club / school games & scholarship trial games (assessed by Sligo Rovers FC coaching staff)
c) Leaving Certificate points attained (or equivalent State exam if the applicant resides outside of Republic of Ireland). The minimum requirement under this heading will be the points level at which offers are made to applicants on specific courses.
d) If a candidate qualifies under the above criteria, he or she will have to pass an interview with IT Sligo.
Candidates of established High Performance status, aged 23 or over on 1st January in the calendar year of the application, may be considered under Category 2 if they have already played soccer at a high level (generally speaking, such a player will have attained International representative honours).
Note: Candidates should bear in mind that, separate from applying for a soccer scholarship, they may also be eligible for an ACCESS grant, which is aimed at students from particular backgrounds and circumstances.
All applicants should submit their applications via email (Successful applicants will benefit from daily access to Sligo Rovers FC professional UEFA “A” & “Pro” Licenced coaches, fitness coaches) and IT Sligo grass and synthetic training pitches / gym facilities / athletic track.
All applicants should submit applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to Packie Lynch, Sligo Rovers FC / IT Sligo Soccer Scholarship Scheme Administrator, Showgrounds, Knappaghmore, Sligo to be received on or before 12pm on 1st July 2012.
· Full name
· Postal address
· E-mail address
· Telephone contact numbers
· Date of Birth
· Place of Birth
· Where relevant, whether an applicant has already completed a C.A.O. form
· Level of education already achieved
· Level of soccer achievements and honours attained to date
Other Points to Note
1. The scholarship program is open to both male and female applicants and applicants of all ethnic backgrounds. This is very much in keeping with both Sligo Rovers FC (“Show Racism the Red Card”; female match attendances up > 30%) and IT Sligo’s commitment to gender and ethnic equality.
2. Little overlap between 3rd level Colleges soccer and FAI National League soccer season.
3. The soccer clubs will collaborate with IT Sligo to ensure there are no conflicting timetabling issues for all successful applicants. This is very much in keeping with the program’s philosophy of encouraging outperformance in the scholar’s academic and soccer career (e.g. training in the evenings).
4. Candidates performance will be assessed annually, under both academic and soccer performance criteria, across a typical 3-year degree or diploma cycle.
5. An aspirational intake of 4 soccer scholars per annum will, by year 3 (the final year of a first year scholar’s academic undergraduate career), ensure a total playing contingent of 12 on the scheme.
6. Given the provisions of Budgets in recent times (increase in student registration fees) and the difficult economic climate), the soccer scholarship scheme will provide successful candidates with an opportunity to embark on a clearly defined playing, academic and personal development career path.
7. Successful applicants will benefit from daily access to Sligo Rovers FC professional UEFA “A” & “Pro” Licenced coaches, fitness coaches) and IT Sligo grass and synthetic training pitches / gym facilities / athletic track.