Student Counselling Service
Student Counselling Service
Welcome to the Student Counselling Service at Institute of Technology, Sligo
Counsellor: Marian F. Quinn MBPsS MIACP
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 3.00pm
Making an Appointment:
- Telephone 071 93 05542
- Email your mobile number to firstname.lastname@example.org counsellor will call your mobile
- Or drop in to the Student Centre to arrange an appointment
The Student Counselling Service is a professional, confidential student support that is available free of charge to all registered IT Sligo students. The service offers students support in coping with academic and personal issues, which may impact on their college experience.
What is Counselling?
Counselling is about:
- Mental health not mental illness
- Being well and staying well
- Personal growth and development
- Setting and achieving goals
If issues trouble you during your time here consult the student counsellor as early as you can – do not wait until your college performance suffers. The counsellor is skilled in the art of listening and has experience in dealing with a wide range of situations and issues that students encounter.
Students in Crisis
If you are in crisis please contact:
- Student Counselling Service: Telephone: 071 93 05542 or email: email@example.com
- Student Health Service: Telephone: 071 9155205 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chaplaincy: Telephone: 071 9155215 or email: email@example.com
Above services are available during normal college hours
Out of Hours Supports:
- Your own GP
- Sligo General Hospital Emergency Department: Telephone: 071 9171111
- IT Sligo Garda Liaison Telephone: 071 9157000
- Sligo Garda station: 071 9157000/9142031
- Sligo Rape Crisis Centre (free phone): 1800 750 780
- IT Sligo Security: 087 6379470
- The Samaritans: 1850 609090
The student counselling service provides you with a neutral observer who is non judgmental and who will not have an agenda or preconceived assumptions about your issues.
The service will provide you with a space to be honest in a way that is not always possible with friends or family. You will be given an opportunity to explore your issues in a supportive environment and because the counsellor is not part of your daily life you don’t have to worry about the impact of what you say on your friends or family.
For appointment email your mobile number to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The information that you share with your counsellor during a session is confidential and is not linked to your academic record. As a general rule, counsellors will not divulge any information about you outside the service, without your written permission.
The only exception to this would be if your counsellor feels there is a serious risk either to yourself or to someone else, or if the courts subpoena the counsellor to give evidence before a judge.
To make an appointment: email your mobile number to email@example.com
Self Help Fact Sheets